Demons Hide Their Faces

Demons Hide Their Faces - A.A. Attanasio, Jeff Bigman I lost track of A.A. Attanasio at the end of the last century. I had encountered him through his first novel, Radix was a poetic prose writer whose actual poetry was poor, I sometimes have the feeling that Attanasio is a poet whose prose is sometimes a little too abstract. If he were a painter, his work would be too 'modern' for my taste - too far divorced from any reality that attracts me. As a writer, though, he's much more approachable. When I started many of the stories in this collection, I thought "It's too ethereal; he won't pull it off." But he usually did, and he always came close. Attanasio has a knack for telling a solid, well-realized story even while spending much of his energy on fluid, complex images and concepts.

If you're looking for fluffy action adventure, this is not the place for you. But if you want something a little deeper, something that will make you think about the nature of being and reality without being pretentious about it, I recommend this collection - and Attanasio in general, for that matter.